The Sustainable Control of Parasites in Sheep (SCOPS) has updated its Know Your Anthelmintics Guide, highlighting that choosing the right product and getting the most from it are key factors not only in the fight against anthelmintic resistance but also in ensuring optimum sheep performance at least cost.
The guide advises farmers to use the knowledge and experience of their vet or SQP to help them make the right product choice so they get the best results.
SCOPS said: “They can help you decide which is the most effective for the target parasite(s) and advise on using and interpreting Faecal Egg Counts (FECs). They will also help you test the efficacy of any treatments given so you know which groups are fully effective on your farm and which are not.
“SCOPS wants you to get the most out of every anthelmintic (wormer) treatment you give. This leaflet gives you a list of all the product choices available, the parasites covered, withdrawal periods and routes of administration.”
SCOPS said the key points to remember are:
- Choose the right product. Targeting the parasite(s) correctly means better results and reduces the risk you will need to treat again;
- Use a narrow spectrum product where possible to reduce selection for resistance to the broad spectrum groups;
- Use combination products only when they are necessary;
- Administer anthelmintics effectively and handle and store them correctly; and
- Check that the product has been effective by carrying out a simple drench test.
The guide can be downloaded HERE.