Warning over everyday household items that could kill pets

Household items including chocolate, grapes and alcohol top a list of ordinary items that are unwittingly putting people’s pets at risk.

The everyday foods can lead to all sorts of health complications in animals whose systems struggle to digest human treats. In some cases it can lead to stomach problems, or worse kill and a survey of 2,000 British pet owners suggest few are aware of the dangers.

When shown the list of the above three ingredients only 35 per cent could identify all of them as being poisonous to our furry friends, and 91 per cent would consider giving them ice cream even though it can be hard for animals to digest.

Worryingly, 75 per cent said they did not know blue cheese can lead to convulsions in animals due to the mycotoxins in mould, and 20 per cent did not know slug pellets can kill.

Letting pets eat normal household food like grapes, mushrooms, avocado and nuts, can cause diarrhoea, seizures and in the worst scenarios, death and 66 per cent were clueless on the signs that show an animal had been poisoned.

The survey was conducted on behalf of pet insurers Animal Friends.

A company spokesman said: “Many people think our pets can eat the same food and drinks as us but their stomachs aren’t built that way, so however good they have been, don’t be tempted to feed them human ‘treats’ like blue cheese or chocolate.

“Certain foods can cause havoc with digestion systems and unfortunately, prove fatal – even things you may consider healthy, like raisins.”

Get Our E-Newsletter - breaking news to your in-box once a week
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy