PDSA warns common household drugs can kill pets

Everyday drugs used in millions of homes across the UK could be a death sentence to pets if swallowed, the PDSA has warned.

The charity said it issued the warning after continuing to see poisoning cases involving pets that have ingested common household drugs such as ibuprofen and paracetamol.

It comes as figures from the Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) show that ‘non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)’ – those common in over-the-counter painkillers and cold and flu products – are among the top five enquiries they receive.

PDSA vet Olivia Anderson-Nathan said it was vital for pet owners to realise the dangers common household drugs can pose to their animals.

She said: “Drugs like ibuprofen and paracetamol are a staple of the household medicine cabinet, but you should store them in the same way you would if you had young children in the family, as they can be just as dangerous to our pets.”

“With funding assistance from players of People’s Postcode Lottery we’re warning pet owners about the dangers and what they can do to keep their pets safe.”

Get Our E-Newsletter - breaking news to your in-box once a week
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy