BVA urges pet owners to sign up with a vet

With figures suggesting that 85 per cent of pet owners have registered their pet with a vet but an estimated 3.1 million pet dogs, cats and rabbits in the UK are still not registered, the British Veterinary Association and the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons are urging all owners of unregistered pets to sign up with a veterinary practice.

The joint Pets Need Vets campaign shares 11 reasons why pet owners should register their animals with a vet, including easier access to treatment during emergencies, regular health checks to ensure their pet’s wellbeing, and tailored nutritional advice, and encourages them to visit www.findavet.org.uk to find the right vet practice for them and their pet.

Figures released in the PDSA Animal Wellbeing (PAW) Report in 2017 revealed that 85 per cent of animal owners in the UK had already registered their pets with a vet, so this campaign aims to raise awareness amongst the remaining 15 per cent of the value of doing the same.

The BVA is also encouraging pet owners who are already signed up with a practice to share pictures of their pets at the vets on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtags #lovemyvet and #lovemyvetnurse.

BVA president John Fishwick said: “Vets’ knowledge and skills mean they are well equipped to offer expert advice and care to help pet owners to best look after their pets’ health and welfare needs, so it’s concerning that a large number of owners haven’t registered their animals with a practice.

“Registering with a vet offers a host of benefits, including easier access to treatment during emergencies, tailored advice and regular health checks.”

Get Our E-Newsletter - weekly news to your in-box
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy
Share.